Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Great Day

I had a great day yesterday and today. They were almost identical in classes and I worked hard to get what I did. I ended up working really hard on a couple of assignments that almost killed me but that's not what this post is about.

What? Not about a great day I had? Yeah. Sorry. It was a sour day gone supernova. A few days ago I was trying to get everything done that I was supposed to, I forgot a huge number of things I was asked to do, I missed two appointments regarding that assignment stated earlier, and I was totally ignored for the chunk I was supposed to be helped with. I felt frustrated if not just a little toyed with. I saw the people I was supposed to be helped by immediately after seeing the person I was abandoned by. I was furious. I was trying to make it a productive Sunday but little to nothing was going my way.

I ended up at the end of the day feeling pretty dang tired and really useless. I had a couple of good things happen to me before I went to bed but I was pretty depressed. My roommate and I usually talk for a while before totally falling asleep and I always appreciate his insight. We come from very different backgrounds but we have some surprisingly similar experiences. It's really interesting to talk to him about what is happening in his life versus the lives of those across the hall from us. It's the highlight of my day more often than I can say.

That night he said, "I really appreciate you." There is no way I can describe how happy that made me. The best part is that I know he meant it. I may be really single, I may have some of the greatest difficulties ahead of me than I have ever had, and I may be working to get used to my new brain but knowing that someone appreciates you and says it, makes the really really hard things... better. My last few days have been great more because I feel like I matter than because things went right. It really made things go right, knowing that.

Y'know what? I really appreciate him too. It makes life... better.