Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Project planning

I just wanted to have a little bit of mental release. I just got out of a meeting with five other people who have been doing this for (for many of them) a semester longer than I have and two of our bosses. Have you ever had the feeling that you just don't know what your doing and everyone else just "gets it"? Welcome to my life.

We have a project to do and the advisers (the ones that have done this for years already and have since become bosses over those too stupid to get any other kind of job i.e. me) have just given us the layout. The five people on MY level (by that I mean they have been doing my job for at least a semester longer than I have) are two men and three women. The three women have their feet planted in other men with no desire to make too close of relations with one of such low calibre and the two men are both engaged and younger than myself. I, of course, am not only single, but still getting over being dumped... thoroughly. I am not interested in dating.

The project was laid out for us.

It's a presentation that talks about what we've learned over the past year in this job. The past YEAR. The advisor specifically assigned to me looks at me and nods consolingly, "semester, I suppose." Thanks... I feel so competent. My comrades begin discussing what has been done in the past and what could be done this year. They talk of experiences and life changing events, proposals and projects, rules and regulations. They make some slip of the tongue and I chuckle silently. They look at me as though a tree branch just jutted from my forhead. I turn it into a cough and nod approval at whatever they were talking about. The conversation continues as if I weren't there. I have said about three words after "pork chops". My favorite thing to buy at the local grocery shop. Odd? yes. But it is the best they have.

They all come to an agreement and an advisor looks at me and says, "Neither you nor he have spoken this entire time. What is your opinion on the project?"

The other man says, "I agreed. I said it was a good idea."

I say, "I muttered quite a bit while you were all talking."

I speak five languages (NOT FLUENTLY! Just conversationally) and get some of them confused if the construction is simple enough so she raises an eyebrow and says, "In what language." Everyone else laughs and ignores me once more. The meeting ends and I have been assigned the only person I don't know well at ALL as my project partner. Happy day. He looks me over, smiles slightly and nods. All three men have either more than a foot higher and/or fifty pounds of muscle more than me. I swear, if they weren't so nice, I'd think I was going to be eaten.

All I have to do is talk to him and get the presentation over with. Then I can quit, find somewhere they know me, and be happy starting over with everyone else who wants to start over with me. Anyone in?